Anyone know of a psychiatric forum or place I can post a related question?
Ryan
2004-07-29 19:16:18 UTC
Hi,

Anyone know of a discussion forum, group, or website where I can post
a mental health related question? My question is:

Is there a mental disorder which involves a person doing whatever they
can to box themselves into a small place or seperating themselves from
other people?

I've posted in various forums about this before out of curiosity, but
lately this has been getting alot worse. I'm concerned that there may
be something very wrong and if I should consider doing anything about
it.

Some background on my question:

My next door neighbor over the years has been placing woodchips around
the edges of his property. This looked like normal landscaping but
over the past 5 years the piles have grown to excess of 6ft in some
areas. It looks like he's literally boxing himself in with just enough
room to drive his car out. Lately he's been doing it more and he has
his wife and kids doing it too until the late hours of the night. His
wife is outside with a pitchfork making the piles higher as I type
this. I have to go out and rake the chips up that fall into our yard
so they don't get caught in my tractor/lawn mower. We asked her what
she was doing today and she just didn't have much response, but by the
looks of her eyes she's either about to have a nervous breakdown or
has already had one.

The other neighbors have worried about property value dropping with
homes adjacent to his as well as a large population of mosquitoes
nesting in it. We're more concerned that he and his wife have mental
problems and may be a threat to others in the future. There seems to
be allot of domestic disputes occurring over there. I haven't been
able to hear clearly what the argument is, but he's always pointing at
the woodchip piles and arguing, than she proceeds to pile them higher
into the night. We know he has some sort of mental problem because
when small animals like squirrels, birds, etc. enter his back yard, he
has been seen chasing them with a bat.

Pictures of this weird landscaping available upon request if anyone is
interested.

~Ryan~
***@earthlink.net
Carol Lee Smith
2004-07-30 01:26:08 UTC
Post by Ryan
Anyone know of a discussion forum, group, or website where I can post
alt.society.mental-health
misc.health.alternative
Lannie Ruvin
2004-08-04 20:31:23 UTC
Post by Carol Lee Smith
Post by Ryan
Anyone know of a discussion forum, group, or website where I can post
alt.society.mental-health
misc.health.alternative
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bipolar_Campfire/

Might be useful. If they aren't, perhaps someone there would
have suggestions.

lr
Albion
2004-08-25 15:55:34 UTC
First off this sounds like some sort of obcessive compulsive disorder
or maybe even psychophrenia. But the odds that both a husband and
wife team will both get the disorder at the same time is very
unlikely. My guess, and it's just a guess based on what you have told
me, is that the husband not only has OCD but he's violent. I.E.
yelling, "Get out there and pile those wood chips like I f<beep>king
told you!" She may be looking like she's about to have a nervous
breakdown because she has no where to go, or doesn't know what to do.

I take it the police aren't doing anything? 1) Ask your family doctor
what he would do in that situation. Because he's an MD he might have
a suggestion of someone to call.

Good luck

-Al
~Ryan~
T. Randolph Hart
2004-09-04 04:34:13 UTC
Post by Ryan
[...]
Sounds like he has some sort of paranoid personality disorder. It
doesn't sound like schizophrenia, although it's hard to tell. I think
it's fair to say, he has a mental problem. I am afraid there's not
too much you can do unless they are infringing upon your rights as a
homeowner. If you suspect abuse, you can call the police. It sounds
like he's quite abusive.
clintonG
2004-09-04 15:37:10 UTC
Pick up your telephone and dial 211. Explain your problem to
the operator and you can be directed to a social service
resource which may be of assistance.
--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development
like he's quite abusive.
Ian Morrison
~Ryan~
Matt
2004-11-23 22:41:59 UTC
Alternatively she may be looking nervous because a.) she is under
threat of physical vioelnce, although no signs have been reported, b.)
she knows what she is doing looks wierd / unusual and is embarrased /
afraid that someone will ask her about it, c.) she is part of what is
known as a shared delusion.

The male could well be suffereing from OCD, a personality disorder, or
some kind of psychosis where he has paranoid delusions. That is not
necessarily to say that he is violent (there hasn't actually been any
evidence as yet. Nevertheless, this didn't stop someone posting a
"guess" earlier.)

OCD is characterised by intrusive, unpleasant thoughts and a myriad of
ritualistic behaviours developed as defence mechanisms against these
thoughts. These are usually performed by people themselves and they
don't usually make other people do them.

Personality disorder can be difficult to diagnose and certainly some
of the odd behaviours above may fit the bill, but because by its
nature personality is a reltively long-standing and relatively stable
entity, there would be other "defensive" or "withdrawing" behviours
over a longer period of time.

It could of course also be some kind of paranoid delusion. If the
onset of the observed behaviour was fairly recent, then this could
account for a psychotic episode. These are not always as scary as they
sound (the media has done much to taint the mentally ill) rather it is
a state where delusional beliefs are held and / or hallucinations are
perceived. Whilst ther was no report of any hallucinations, the
behaviour observed could correspond to the onset of a delusional
belief which may be paranoid in nature. Delusions by their nature are
uncharacteristic of the prevailing cultural norm, unshakable and
rigidly held beliefs despite being shown evidence to the contrary.

A shared delusion is one where someone living with a person who holds
delusional beliefs begins to take on their beliefs too. This can
happen where the couple is very insular and has little or no contact
with anyone else. This is not to say that the partner is psychotic as
findings show that when such a person is removed from the situation of
being around the other deluded person, they are able to shed their
beliefs and return to (for want of a better word) normal.

It is important to remember that all that has been given here are some
observations by a concerned lay person and not a clinical expert. Let
us not jump to conclusions based on so little evidence. But the
then you should of course contact the local authorities.

May I say it is encouraging to see people attempting to seek answers
rather than just judge.
Bondo
2004-12-23 06:28:14 UTC
Post by Ryan
Hi,
Anyone know of a discussion forum, group, or website where I can post
Is there a mental disorder which involves a person doing whatever they
can to box themselves into a small place or seperating themselves from
other people?
what does "doing whatever they can do" mean?
"box themselves into a small space" - do you mean this literally?
"seperating themselves from other people" - how so? how extreme?

You're being pretty vague! If the person you are talking about is in
real need, your inability to articulate what is going on is not helping,
and Im wondering what you are posting this here for? Do you
seriously expect anyone in a newsgroup to save some ship sinking
in the North Atlantic, as it were?
Post by Ryan
I've posted in various forums about this before out of curiosity, but
lately this has been getting alot worse. I'm concerned that there may
be something very wrong and if I should consider doing anything about
it.
It seems to me your ambivalence may not be helping?
Post by Ryan
My next door neighbor over the years has been placing woodchips around
the edges of his property. This looked like normal landscaping but
over the past 5 years the piles have grown to excess of 6ft in some
areas. It looks like he's literally boxing himself in with just enough
room to drive his car out. Lately he's been doing it more and he has
his wife and kids doing it too until the late hours of the night. His
wife is outside with a pitchfork making the piles higher as I type
this. I have to go out and rake the chips up that fall into our yard
so they don't get caught in my tractor/lawn mower. We asked her what
she was doing today and she just didn't have much response, but by the
looks of her eyes she's either about to have a nervous breakdown or
has already had one.
"Looks of her eyes" ? You need to call the police and they will
take somebody away - your neighbor, or you!